Using APIs is definitely very useful for automation. We at VMTurbo value automation and control so we put a lot of effort in optimizing our REST APIs and making sure they provide the needed access to Operations Manager.
Our REST APIs cover a variety of areas, but I chose the top 5 areas that I believe would provide very important details about the environment.
p.s. this is based on API v1.0
1. List and execute current recommendations
- To list current recommendations: GET to
- To Execute a recommendation: POST to
2. Get your environment statistics
- Overall environment: GET to
- Or per cluster: GET to
3. View the details of your environment entities
- To view all virtual machines details: GET to
- To view all physical machines (hosts) details: GET to
- To view all storages (data stores) details: GET to
4. Targets details and discovery
- To get all targets details: GET to
- To rediscover all targets: POST to
- To rediscover a specific target: POST to
5. View the action settings
- To get details about action settings categorized per PM cluster: GET to
Take a look on the full API documentation on the Green Circle Documentation section.