"How many hosts do I need to buy as I replace legacy hardware?" is a question that comes up quite frequently. This article discusses how to run the use case within the VMTurbo plan tab.
The easy way: In VMTurbo 5.3 you can use the predefined "Reconfigured Hardware" workflow, which will walk you through the steps defined below.
1. Start a new plan and set the environment scope by choosing the Scope button, and choose the group of physical machines you would like to refresh.
2. Select the option to Modify Plan Workload (in 5.2) or Modify Supply (in 5.3)
3. Select Plan Host > Replace Host Using Template then choose the option to Add new template
4. Add in the specs of the hosts that you are looking to purchase and select Create Template.
Reminder: If you are using hyper-threading your logical core count will be 2x the physical core count.
5. After adding the template select your New Host template and then Replace then Done.
6. Make any advanced modifications that you require then select Run.
7. The resulting output is the set of recommendations and required resources for the hardware refresh. In this case the entire environment can fit on two of the new hardware.