Turbonomic has been supporting over 20K entities in environment but with few number of targets. This article talks about when number of target is at large scale eg 600 and total number of entities is like 3000.
Below configuration is based on simulation 600 AWS targets in turbonomic lab. We have used modified utilProbe simulating exactly like AWS probe in term of latency and threads.
Recommended setting for turbonomic to support 600 pls targets
- Make a copy of the file in case you need to roll back:
cp /srv/tomcat/data/config/disc.config.topology /srv/tomcat/data/config/disc.config.topology.bck
- Increase DiscoveryManagerImpl thread pool size to 50: change numThreads="10" to 50
note - 50 is a good number for 600 targets. For 200 targets, you can use 20.
- Tune post-processing to run once per 1 hour: add maxTimeWithoutPostprocSeconds="2400" and minTimeBetweenPostprocSeconds="1800" right after numThreads
- Configure market to run every hour: market.60min.config.topology will be provided by editing
cp /srv/tomcat/data/config/startup.BlazeDS.bootstrap /srv/tomcat/data/config/startup.BlazeDS.bootstrap.bck
inside the file point to the market.60min.config.topology file instead of the default 10 minutes:to:
Note - there is also a 30 minutes file. So if discovery takes less than 30 minutes, you can use that file.
To disable discovery dumping set the following properties in data/config/discovery-dumping.properties
If the file doesn't exist please create it and make sure it is owned by tomcat:tomcat (have the file include this single line)
- Increase CPU and Memory: m5.2xlarge is recommended
- Increased disk space, 600 discoveries generate 1200 discovery dumps in /srv/tomcat/data/discoveries. Also 600 targets increase log size dramatically. + 30 additional Gb
AWS Probe changes
- in sdk.probe.properties adjust thread pool sizes. You might need to add these lines to the file.
AWS discovery interval to 60 min
/srv/tomcat/webapps/vmturbo/probe-jars/com.vmturbo.mediation.aws-6.3.3/probe-conf.xml (noticed that the version number will change according to the version you are on)
Make a backup of the file
cp /srv/tomcat/webapps/vmturbo/probe-jars/com.vmturbo.mediation.aws-6.3.3/probe-conf.xml /srv/tomcat/webapps/vmturbo/probe-jars/com.vmturbo.mediation.aws-6.3.3/probe-conf.xml.bck
and edit it:
service tomcat restart