AnsweredAssumed Answered

Automated Workload Placement

Question asked by chadd.toppings on Feb 8, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 by chadd.toppings

Hi,

I've starting testing out VMTurbo's automated VM actions in our test lab environment.  The test environment I've pointed Operations Manager at consists of 2 XenServer hosts, each having their own local storage SRs, as well as a shared NFS Storage SR.  I've created 3 VMs within that pool.

I'm currently attempting to create a Workload Placement policy that will automatically move VMs off of one of the hosts in prep for maintenance tasks, etc.  To do this, I've done the following:

- created a custom group called "XenServer Hosts to Evacuate (Test)", and added the physical host I want to evacuate as the sole member of that group

- created a custom Workload Placement Policy

- Policy: Don't Place

- Consumer Type: Virtual Machine

- Consumer Group: The XenServer pool in our test lab

- Provider Group: The custom group created earlier

- navigated to Action --> VM --> Virtual Machines By PM Cluster --> The XenServer pool in our test lab

- changed Move to Automated

After enabling the Placement Policy and waiting approx 10-15 min, I can see that VMTurbo begins to move VMs off of the VM host I specified earlier.  However, after the host is evacuated, the Placement Policy doesn't seem to enforce the Don't Place policy.  If I move a VM back onto the host I wanted to keep empty (either by a XenMotion migration, or a shut off/turn on), VMTurbo won't move it off again.

Is this behaviour by design?  I was hoping the placement policies would keep enforcing the Don't Place group, but if that's not the case, then I can probably find a workaround from the XenServer side of things (i.e. placing the host in maintenance mode after VMTurbo evacuates the host.)

Any insight would be appreciated!

Chadd

Outcomes