discoposse

What is holding you back from using public cloud?

Discussion created by discoposse Expert on Nov 1, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 by bliebowitz

There are many reasons which make embracing the public cloud a challenge.  The top ones that I've often hit, or hear about among the community include:

1. Cost
  2. Architecture
  3. Data sovereignty
  4. Privacy and control
  5. Which one to choose?

Cost is a top one because the carrot drawing us in around understanding what the true cost of IT is (I wrote about there here: https://turbonomic.com/blog/on-technology/thinking-cloud-it-as-a-cost-per-unit/ ) which often leaves us wondering which is the right way to go.  Nobody likes the sticker shock of trying out AWS RDS databases when we find out the hard way that snapshots and data transfer cost more than expected and before we even connect the first app, we are a few hundred dollars deep on the credit card.

Architecture is challenging because it's new, and there are a lot of really cool options.  Really cool options that we may not be as comfortable on.  If you're from a Microsoft background or a VMware admin background, the self-service ease of AWS may not be as comforting as it may be for others.

Data sovereignty doesn't worry everyone.  I came from a background in Canadian Financial Services.  That leads to all sorts of exciting regulatory concerns around data storage.  The same would happen for many European nations.

Privacy and control, or the appearance of loss of privacy and control is next.  Cloud environments are usually better architected than our on-premises platforms, but this still concerns many people.  I believe this is more of a fear of the unknown rather than a genuine proven concern.

Which to choose?  There are the Big 3 (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud) as well as an array of other players (Digital Ocean, SoftLayer and many others) which leaves us with the analysis paralysis feeling.  Narrowing down the "best" one for us means looking at a lot of criteria.

You'll note that one of the missing pieces in the list is performance.  That's another discussion that is coming.  A very important one.  We are making decisions on the basis of complexity, data sovereignty and privacy, but that doesn't deal with performance and cost together.  If you target one (cost or performance) the other will be directly affected.

This is where more content is coming about how to solve performance AND cost, but first lets find out why the cloud is or isn't on your radar.

What are your thoughts?

Outcomes